Friday, July 5, 2024

"A Casual Look"

Yester-day, I listened to the two-albums-on-one-CD re-issue of 15 Big Ones and Love You.  I noticed that, perhaps just coincidentally, some lines in "A Casual Look" are identical to some lines in "I'm So Young" (from Today!).  Here's the second verse of "A Casual Look":
A soldier boy when he proposed
She said no; his face just froze
You know she loved him
But was so young
Can't marry no one
Can't marry no one
And here's the first verse of "I'm So Young":
I have a girlfriend; she says I'm her only one
We wanna get married, but we're so young
So young
Can't marry no one
Both end with "So young / Can't marry no one."  Furthermore, as I've noted before, in both, "young" is sung with a melisma, providing a sense of degree (for "so").

According to the liner notes of the respective albums, "A Casual Look" was written by Ed Wells, and "I'm So Young" by William Tyus.