Sunday, November 19, 2023

"Let Us Go on This Way"

A few days ago, I figured out the synthesizer bass part in "Let Us Go on This Way."  While working on writing it out in notation yester-day, I realized the significance of some of the accidentals.

Here's the first verse (notated an octave higher than it's played):


(After this, there are three measures of rests, which I didn't include.  The second verse is basically the same; the only difference is that the eighth notes [G natural and B] at the end of the eleventh measure are replaced by a single G natural quarter note.)

Above the four measures of G naturals and C naturals, the lyrics are:
Going to school isn't my fondest desire
But sittin' in class, you set my soul on fire
and
When I leave you, I'm so depressed
'Cause you're my only happiness
in the first and second verses, respectively.  The appearance of the accidentals coincides with the narrator's mentioning what is distasteful ("Going to school isn't my fondest desire") or downright unpleasant ("When I leave you, I'm so depressed"), and to some degree, the accidentals provide a musical sense of something he would rather avoid.

I also noticed that "depressed" in the line "When I leave you, I'm so depressed" is sung with a melisma (E G A), giving a sense of degree (for "so").